- Your computer uses Windows Vista (and newer) and Mac OS X 10.5 (and newer).
- Your computer uses a wireless connection to your network and the operating system is in control of the wireless adapter so that the HP Software can retrieve the computer's current network settings.
- Your computer is connected to your network over 2.4GHz. NOTE: HP Printers are not compatible with 5.0 GHz networks. You may still be able to connect the printer to your network using other setup methods as long as your router also supports 2.4GHz (as most do). Please go to the section on Routers to learn more. Additional setup methods are shown on this page
- Your computer does not use a
- Your printer is in HP Auto Wireless Connect mode. The printer will be in this mode for two hours after it is first powered on during installation before it is connected to a network. TIP: If your printer has been powered on for more than two hours and the software has not yet tried to connect the printer to your wireless network, you can reset this mode by using the “Restore Network Settings” or “Restore Network Defaults” option from the printer control panel. Usually found under the Network menu or by touching the wireless icon (or button) and then going to “Settings” or gear icon. Refer to your printer documentation for more information on this.
For instructions on starting WPS on your printer consult your printer's manual. However, there are some conditions that need to be met in order to use WPS pushbutton mode:
- Both your printer and wireless router must support WPS pushbutton mode. Consult your printer and wireless router manuals.
- The wireless router must have a physical WPS pushbutton available.
- Your network must use or WPA2 security. Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if WEP or no security is used.
- Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if you are using the manufacturer’s default for the network name and no security.
To connect your wireless printer to your wireless router using WPS:
- Start the WPS pushbutton mode on your printer.
For instructions on starting WPS on your printer, consult your printer's manual.
- Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on your router.